Currently due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our programming looks a lot different. While we don't have our regular volunteer opportunities, here are a few ways you can support SBS Families.
Step Into Freedom Financial Literacy Course
Step Into Freedom is our 10-week trauma-informed financial literacy workshop launching in September. In addition to learning invaluable financial skills, SBS moms will be able to put what they’re learning into practice by saving through our Individual Development Accounts (IDAs). Moms will choose one of five saving paths (car, house, education, emergency savings, or paying off debt) and their savings will be matched 1:1 and in some cases, 2:1! Finally, to ensure their success, moms will be paired with a Financial Advocate who will be with them weekly for 1 year following the workshop to continue building and practicing these important skills.
We were set to launch our new trauma-informed financial literacy course, Step Into Freedom, with 16 young single moms in-person on September 14. Childcare, transportation, and hot meals were all lined up. And then, the COVID-19 stats hit critical levels and we knew we would need to pivot.
Therefore, they will continue the program online through Zoom and plan to provide brand new Chromebooks and hot spots for each participant.
How you can help:
- Help purchase Chromebooks: Contribute to our campaign to provide a Chromebook and hotspot for each of our 16 participants. You can donate HERE.
- Donate gift cards: To make dinner easier, each participant will receive a gift card for a meal. You can mail/deliver $20 gift cards from Kroger or Wal-Mart to our office:
- 3320 Tates Creek, Ste 200 Lexington, KY 40502
- Purchase kid activities: We'll be providing children with activity packs to keep kids busy while mom is participating in the workshop. Check back soon for an Amazon wishlist of items needed.
- Volunteer as a Financial Advocate: Meet with a Step By Step mom that has completed the Step Into Freedom course on a weekly basis, supporting her as she implements new habits and skills from the course into her life. Read the full job description here!
Interested in volunteering as a financial advocate for Step Into Freedom? Fill out our volunteer application here!
**We ask that volunteers be fully vaccinated and wear masks while volunteering with SBS. Thank you for loving our families well!
Check out our full Covid-19 operations policy here.
Monthly Deliveries of Basic Needs
Each month we deliver basic need items to SBS Families in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Help provide needed items such as toilet paper, diapers, and cleaning supplies by shopping our list HERE
We deliver to over 40 families each month and depend on the help of volunteers. Making deliveries consists of the following:
- Arrive to the SBS Office (3320 Tates Creek, Ste 200) at 12pm.
- Once here, call us at (859) 258-7837 and we will bring the items down to your car.
- You will receive a list of names and addresses for the deliveries, typically 2-7 families in the same zip code of Lexington.
- Deliveries are no contact, simply knock on the door and leave the items for the mom. The families will be aware of the deliveries in advance.
- We ask that you wear a mask and not have others with you while making deliviers. We can provide a mask and gloves upon request.
If you're interested in assisting contact us HERE.