We serve young single mothers & children
Being a young single mother is often a difficult road to walk. Step By Step is here to support young moms as they reach their goals while overcoming obstacles. We will always meet her with love and understanding instead of disapproval and judgment. Programs offered at Step By Step coupled with a mom's dedication and drive will give her the skills and confidence she needs, opening the door to whatever promising future she desires for herself and her family.
Services provided by Step By Step:
- Support groups
- Workshops on parenting, life skills, budgeting, communication, relationships, nutrition, goal setting, and more
- Large group meetings with fun activities and a warm meal for moms and their children
- “Dare To Dream” goal setting sessions
- Bible Studies and Discipleship
- Weekend retreat focused on emotional healing and spiritual growth
- Resource Referrals
- Crisis Intervention
- Children’s Program for the Kids which includes Bible teaching and character development
- Transportation to large group meetings
- Mama’s Hideout where they can come throughout the week to find support, prayer and guidance
- We are Christ centered and Holy Spirit inspired.
- Lost people matter to God, therefore they matter to us.
- Children are a gift from God therefore we are intentional with our ministry toward them.
- We provide a non-threatening environment where we offer absolute truth in a non-judgmental way.
- We encourage Spiritual growth, as it is necessary for life change.
- We are ministry focused for the growth and development of our mothers and children; not driven by programming.
Mission & Vision
Our mission is to empower and embolden young single mothers to improve their lives, their families, and their communities through healing, encouragement, faith and education.
Our vision is a Lexington that fosters belonging and empowers young, single mothers to positively impact their families and communities.
Step By Step began in the hearts of three women at Crossroads Christian Church who had a real burden for young single moms. One of the founders, Terri Behrens, put it this way… “I was a single mom before I was a married mom and I can tell you, being a single mom is more than twice as hard.” Their desire was to create a welcoming, accepting, loving atmosphere for these very vulnerable young women. It was to be a place where they didn’t feel judged, but could enjoy and support each other, learn life skills, and encounter Christ. And so it is! From 1995 till now, Step By Step has ministered to well over 1000 young single moms and their children, helped establish a second Step By Step in nearby Georgetown, KY, and created a Single Mothers’ Ministry Manual to empower others to start their own ministries in their communities. God has used the calling of three young women in a single church to create a powerful and effective ministry model to reach young single moms and their children everywhere!
- 1995: SBS was founded through Crossroads Church.
- 1997: SBS incorporated as 501 c 3 non-profit and moved its bi-weekly ‘Revive’ meetings to Immanuel Baptist
- 1999: Opened the doors to its downtown center, allowing teen moms daily access to Christian mentors.
- 2005-07: Quadrupled number of people served
- 2008: First SBS satellite opened in Georgetown, KY
- 2010-16: Board and staff developed infrastructure for sustainability and expansion.
- 2016: Single Mom Ministry Manual made available via website
- 2019: Moved into new facility with nearly three times the space, giving moms and their children space to attend workshops, work on resumes or online classes, and receive therapy
Board of Directors
Executive Vice President, Trek Advancement
Attorney, Steptoe & Johnson PLLC
District Mental Health Specialist, Fayette County Public Schools
Anne Sabatino Hardy
Executive Director, Visit Horse Country
Dr. Beth Gamble
PhD, Director of Special Projects, School of Nursing, Kentucky State University
Administrative Assistant, Shadwell Farm
Dr. Tiffany Wheeler
PhD, Associate Professor of Education, Transylvania University
Assistant Director of Special Events, Keeneland Association
Chief Executive Officer, Agentis Management